Sunday, May 26, 2013

Cupping

I love the idea of alternative medicine. Rob thinks I'm a little wacky. I probably am, but there is just something wonderful about acupuncture being able to numb a person's body for open heart surgery and them being awake the entire time. You can't tell me that is not cool. Anyways, Asia is very popular for practicing alternative medicine and I decided that I would take advantage of that while living in Taiwan. Cupping is very interesting and I don't really know all of the benefits. I know it is a very old practice that reaches to ancient Chinese, Egyptians and Greeks (1550 BC). That was good enough for me to try it. This is what it looks like

They put little suction cups to your back, legs, arms, stomach, neck, and head. It doesn't hurt and it is actually quite relaxing. At least it was for me. I shouldn't say that's how all experiences are. There is also wet cupping(small puncture wounds that bleed when the suction cup is on) and fire cupping (the suction is created by heating the inside of the cup with fire).

I was happy to hear that they said I was very healthy but that I probably wasn't sleeping very well. They were right. The darker the circle is after the cup is removed the worse it is. The ones on my head and neck were darker than the rest. I am sporting some serious hicky marks all the way down my back and I will spare you a picture of that and just show you this one as an example.


1 comment:

  1. I vaguely remember Gavin talking about this. I think it's awesome that you tried it out! How come you're not getting good sleep? Is it your mattress?

    ReplyDelete