Saturday, January 19, 2013

Taking Pride in the Little Things

Rob and I have become masters in the art of driving a scooter. By that I mean, Rob is very proficient at driving and I'm a dang good passenger. You may laugh at my seemingly inconsequential talent, but I will tell you it is a skill. I have been practicing driving the scooter with Rob on the back to prepare for driving around my mom on the scooter. I notice every time he wiggles on the scooter. I notice if he doesn't turn the right way or how quickly he reacts to my movements. I've silently celebrated my ability to be a good passenger because I try to stay still, move with the scooter, be aware of our surroundings and react accordingly, and anchor myself to the scooter instead of hugging onto the driver. The other day, I was paid for my exemplary skills when Rob told me I was a good passenger.

This compliment took me back to Rob's missionary farewell.... I had seen Tobin and Rob ride all around on the scooter before but I had never taken my turn. It seemed really fun, and for a girl of sixteen what could be more fun then to ride on a scooter with her ultimate crush. I had asked Rob before to take me on a ride and he was finally going to. Unfortunately, he was busy talking to others so Tobin took me instead. I am very fond of my brother so I did not mind too much. I was nervous for my first ride and Tobin was very quick to tell me I was doing it wrong and show me how to be a passenger correctly. Later, Rob did remember and offer to take me, but like an idiot I told him I had already gone. I regretted saying that for two years, but I can at least say that I owe my scooter riding skills to the brutal honesty of my wonderful brother, Tobin.

I'm glad that I got my second chance on a scooter with Rob. Driving around with Rob is really one of my favorite things :)

No comments:

Post a Comment