Thursday, March 14, 2013

Learning to Adapt

It's always hard to teach someone the definition of a certain word when they don't have a real grasp on the language you are speaking. I use a lot of body language and I'm sure that people will get annoyed watching me talk when I get back to America. It is really helpful here though. Every once in awhile I feel like I really make a break through though and surprise myself. This is a conversation I had with a student of a very low level in English.

Mia: Miss Lauren, what is it? (pointing at the word "stylish")
Me: (a little stumped with how to describe it to her I say) so fashion
Mia: (her eyes light up with understanding) thanks teacher.

I'm always happy when I can kind of think like my students and connect with them. To her that made perfect sense even though it seems funny to English speakers.

No comments:

Post a Comment