Friday, November 16, 2012

School Anniversary

The school anniversary was really quite a celebration. The aboriginal students did a traditional dance that was amazing. There were a lot of drums and singing, and kids passing out. To explain that last one, there are ten thousand students at this school and they all had to stand at attention while the principal and his cronies were giving themselves a "pat on the back" speech. We couldn't understand them of course but I can imagine it was something like... "your test scores are up, our sports teams are doing well, and our school is better than everyone else." Isn't that how they usually go? Anyways, about halfway through the speech a student in the very front totally fainted. Rob and I started to watch carefully after that and sure enough kids were dropping like flies. They were standing for about two hours in the sun and I'm sure it was miserable. Crazy!

 These Chinese dogs (not dragons) were really fun to watch. They even had 
little tales that wagged. If you can see the building behind them there are students standing
at attention on every floor. There's also students on the field and every building 
surrounding the field as well. 

The aboriginal drummers. 

Anyways, I ran a relay race with my team as some of you know. I was really quite nervous for it because one, it's running and two, they take competition extremely serious here. There was a cash price too so I guess that means it's serious. I was pleasantly surprised though when I ended up crushing the competition. When the baton came to me it was pretty neck and neck because I was second to run. I look like I'm jogging in the video but here it is. We ask that you view it on silent because the sound of students is horrendous. 


No comments:

Post a Comment