Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Finally Getting in Some Teaching

This Monday we were able to teach a class for some evaluation. From the classes that we had observed it seemed pretty straight forward and easy: just open the workbook and go over the chapter. It seemed kind of boring to us, but if that's how they wanted it done we would do it, and of course we don't mind taking the easy route here. We were not really given any instruction just the workbook chapters we were supposed to cover. I was a little nervous since this was really the first teaching experience/instruction I've ever had. The class went well except for one kid that fell asleep hard core in the back of the class. He was sitting right by the observing teacher and she didn't even wake him. We received some critique but nothing too helpful. I just had to laugh. It was more like she wanted a break from teaching her class than for her to actually observe us, but what do I know.

I started another AWESOME job this week. I am tutoring the principal's granddaughter. Pretty much the whole family works for the school and this girl is going to be like a little prodigy. She is almost two years old and they already have an English tutor for her. I just feel lucky I get to play with her for an hour a day. She is really shy though. She wouldn't even look at me for the first little bit, but afterwards we started playing just fine. She can already sing the ABCs and if I sing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star to her she will sing it back in Chinese. It has been really fun for me to teach this little girl and also the kindergarten classes. I have the best job.

No comments:

Post a Comment